TEA BLENDING MASTERCLASS
This 1-day in-person course is held in partnership with Blends for Friends, at their facility near Sevenoaks, Kent. The tutor is Alex Probyn.
The course contributes one credit toward the Level Three Tea Diploma but is open to all, with no prior experience necessary. For more details about the Tea Diploma qualification, please see this page or email email@example.com
The course will be held at:
Blends For Friends Ltd.
The Tea Barn
Coney Shaw Farm
If you are interested in this course and would like more information on local accommodation and transport, please email us.
Tea Blending Masterclass
In person training: 1 day @ Blends for Friends, Kent
Friday 26th April 2024
9am – 5pm
The price includes transport from the nearest train station, lunch, snacks and (of course) tea.
Counts as one credit towards your Level 3 Tea Diploma.
“What an amazing course it was. I feel very fortunate to have had the experience and thanks to you for incorporating it into the Tea Academy.”
“I loved every minute of the course and am simply buzzing from ideas and learnings. Alex is an absolute authority and it’s such a wonderful environment and team for the course to be undertaken.”
“Alex and his team are brilliant. A wonderful experience I’ll recommend to my colleagues.”
“I have learnt so much in one day. Thank you! The location was beautiful, the “blending lab” impressive with an incredible choice of teas, plants, fruits, herbs… Alex guided us through the art of blending and never got tired of answering all our question. Lauren made us taste some of the most delicious teas. It was lovely to meet tea friends from all over the world and some of us will certainly stay in touch and see each other at another masterclass.” – Juliette, June 23
“IReally a very enriching and interesting course. Alex is a great teacher, sincere, friendly and very knowledgeable about the subject, I learned a lot and was easy to understand. I am very glad I took this course. Thanks very much Alex!” – Jennifer, June 23
Learn about the finer points of tea blending from the experts, on site at a state-of-the-art tea blending facility. This one-day course will give you the knowledge you need to start creating your own tea blends, from what equipment you need, to how to source your ingredients and how to blend both teas and herbals.
THE COURSE WILL COVER
- Meet and greet the team and participants
- Orientation; details of course syllabus.
- What you need to get started; tools and equipment requirements
- Blending black teas; English Breakfast – creating a ‘classic’. CTCs versus Orthodox
- Blending white, green and oolong teas.
- Blending oils and flavours; artificial and natural; Creating the perfect Earl Grey.
- Blending fruit and herbal infusions; flowers, seeds, fruits, roots and leaves
- Blend percentages; dos and don’ts.
- Blending for how the drinker will drink it; different demographics, countries, water quality, adding milk.
- Sourcing the right ingredients; the law, methods of sourcing, ingredients checking and batch control.
- Creating the perfect blend portfolio; the right mix, blend costings, saving blend recipes and creating product specifications.
- Free blending time; creating selection of own recipes.
- Final questions and close.
ABOUT THE TUTOR
In the late 90s Alex Probyn worked as a buyer and blender for Tetley, before setting up his own tea company – Blends For Friends – in 2006. Alex has visited over 150 tea and herb estates in all the major tea growing regions and has given masterclasses on tea in over 20 countries. Alex Probyn
If you wish to continue studying for your Tea Diploma, you will need to take further courses at this level and you must have already completed both Level One and Level Two before the final qualification can be awarded.