CHINESE TEA MASTERCLASS
4 x 2.5 hour live webinars.
Explore each category of Chinese tea in depth and while tasting a selection of fine teas sent to your door. Taught by one of the UK’s leading Chinese tea experts, Juyan Webster.
Please read carefully the list of equipment you will need in order to take this course (see below)
This course contributes one credit toward the Level Three Tea Diploma qualification but is open to all, regardless of previous experience or study with the UK Tea Academy. For more details about the Tea Diploma qualification, please see this page or email firstname.lastname@example.org
(+£30 international postage)
Four live webinars with Chinese tea expert Juyan Webster. Includes a selection of teas and contributes one credit towards the Level 3 Tea Diploma.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
In this masterclass, we will mainly focus on five categories of Chinese Teas: Green, White, Yellow, Oolong and Black Tea, and the introduction of what is Dark Tea. We will explore each category in depth, concluding with tasting a selection of fine teas from the category.
Over £100 worth of carefully selected teas are included in your course price and will be mailed to you before the course begins.
Webinar / Module 1: GREEN TEA
- The harvesting and processing methods for Green tea
- How to measure quality when buying Chinese Green Tea
- How to brew and taste Chinese Green Tea
- How to judge the new and old season of Green Tea
- Tasting 4 green teas to compare the difference in quality and terroir
Webinar / Module 2: WHITE TEA
- The origin of White Tea
- What are the varietals for producing White Tea
- The different varieties of White Tea
- Tasting and comparing the different grades of White Tea
- How to age white teas
- Tasting 4 White Teas and an aged White Tea
Webinar / Module 3: YELLOW AND BLACK TEA
- What is Yellow Tea
- The main regions for producing Yellow teas
- Tasting a Yellow Tea
- What is Chinese black tea
- The different varieties and regions
- What is the original Lapsang Souchong and how it is made
- How to judge the quality and appreciate a fine Black tea
- Tasting 3 Black Teas, including the most famous Black Tea – Jin Jun Mei
Webinar / Module 4: OOLONG TEA
- What is Oolong tea
- Introducing the different varieties of Oolongs and the main producing regions
- The differences between Tie Guan Yin, Wu Yi Rock Tea and Phoenix Dan Cong
- What are the key factors for judging quality
- What is the best way to brew and appreciate Oolong teas
- Tasting 4 outstanding Oolongs from each region
WHAT WILL I NEED?
In order to take this course, you will need to have some tea brewing equipment:
* A Gaiwan (ideal) or a 150ml – 200ml glass or porcelain teapot
* A Tasting cup
* A small jug (cha hai, or fairness jug) for emptying tea liquor from Gaiwan or teapot
* A big bowl for holding discarded water
* A thermometer or temperature controlled kettle
* Kettle and filtered water
Teas will be sent to you but please ensure you have the above items. If you need our help in sourcing a Gaiwan or any other equipment, you can let us know through our booking form or by email to email@example.com.
ABOUT THE TUTOR
Juyan Webster is the owner and founder of the The Chinese Tea Company in London. Growing up in Zhejiang Province, which is one of the most important provinces of China in tea production, Juyan was surrounded by tea and tea culture. Her family grew tea on their land where, as a child, she worked alongside her mother, picking and processing tea. It was this upbringing that shaped a passion for tea and her vast knowledge of tea production.
If you wish to continue studying for your Tea Diploma, you will need to take further courses at this level and you must have already completed both Level One and Level Two before the final qualification can be awarded.